Friday, June 14, 2013

"Style-List" 4 Pt 2: Chinos shorts


I like to present to you all the second installment to the 5-part series that was to start and end in May. But before I do, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies to all the readers that let me know that they enjoyed the 1st installment: "Week 1 Suit Shorts" and were anxiously awaiting the rest of the series. However, as some of you may or may not know I have been working on my own fashion line for the past couple of years and was recently given a last minute offer, that I could not refuse (sans Don Corleone), to fly and check out a few overseas manufacturing factories. So I am thankful for you all understanding, your support and patience. Therefore, without further ado, I present to you the second installment of the "Shorts" series:


"How to wear them shorts"

Week 2

CHINOS


::Side Note:: Many of you may have come across the adjective “Chinos” when shopping for pants online or in-store but may not have known exactly what that meant. And so before I get into Chinos shorts it is important I explain what Chinos pants are.

When it comes to dress pants (non suit pants; there’s a difference, blog post for another time.)
there are “Khaki” pants and “Chinos”. Where Khakis pants are made one size fit all this gives them a boxy and wide kind of look. Chinos, on the other hand, are the modern version Khaki; the Khaki for the man with a subpar fashion sense. Chinos are a bit slimmer (less boxy) and tapered giving it a more tailored fit. ::End of Side Note::

DESCRIPTION:
Chinos would be considered a couple steps down on the “casual” latter in comparison to the suit shorts. These are popular due to their overall versatility and contemporary appeal. They are more of a relaxed-tailored fit, offered in a variety of fabrics, vibrant and fun pastel colors. Therefore these are the shorts that can be seen worn by a corporate businessman on his family weekend get-away to the Hamptons but also be seen on an urbanite with his cohorts in Soho.

FABRICS:
Usually cotton or any blend of it which is also an integral component of what makes Chinos, well….Chinos.

INSEAM:
“Inseam to footwear ratio”
Whether we realize it or not, in dressing one is always subconsciously considerate of proportions. If you are not then your outfit will appear “off” or “awkward”. So with this in mind, I devised a formula for my readers which I coin the “inseam to footwear ratio”.

The “inseam to footwear ratio” pertains to when wearing shorts and simply means that: Shorts with longer inseams are visually more proportional with higher or bulkier footwear. On the flip side; the shorter the inseam then the lower and sleeker the footwear, the better.
So in the case of the Chinos:

7-9 inch inseam shorts should do the trick if you are going for higher or bulkier footwear. Depending on your height, the inseam should land at about the knees or a half inch past them.

But when planning to wear 5-7 inch inseam shorts then you should wear them with low tops to sleeker footwear. Depending on your height, this inseam translates to about 2-3 inches above your knees.
Hope this read was informative while enjoyable. Feel free to comment below or contact me for anything you may like for me to discuss or further explained on here. Until next week, when I will be presenting the.....well you'll have to wait and see ;o)…. Blessings to you all.



No comments: